Friday, June 26, 2009

A missing piece of culture

Well, you and the rest of the world should be informed by now that Michael Jackson, the World popstar and "King of Pop" died Thursday afternoon from cardiac arrest. He was 50 years old.

Few people are global icons. It takes a tremendous amount of talent, or power, to become a global icon, especially to the status attained by MJ, who really was talented in both catchy music and dancing abilities.

Lets be honest here, though, the last 15 years haven't been very good for him in terms of legalities and popularity. Twice he was hit with law suits alleging misconduct with underage boys, and he even admitted a few things that just weren't right, such as sleeping in a bed with young boys. Though never convicted, he was permanently tainted because of these issues. I'm not going to opine on whether he was a pedophile or not. But I will say that the US as a whole just lost a valid piece of Americana. Culturally we died a little today with MJ. It kinda feels like we can't have cheese burgers any more. Or maybe a tall glass of Coca-Cola. Gone. No more.

I guess what I am saying is that although he was weird, got caught up in lawsuits, was mostly plastic, and had more nose jobs than Mr. Potatohead, he was, in essence, an extension of the American Dream or Story -- going from relatively nothing, to proving his abilities, and then rising to the highest eschelon in human achievement by becoming a global super star. And even though I do not listen to his music (any more) nor have I ever bought any of his records, I do feel a sense of loss just because of his artistic abilities and the paramount that he achieved. Maybe it's calling to my artistic bones. I dunno. But for a moment, when I read the headline on CNN, it became a surreal moment for me, something I hadn't felt since 9/11. Maybe I just need to sleep on the matter.

Still, odd week no doubt. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and then MJ. Deadpool, anyone?

2 comments:

Annette said...

I know! California's water must have toxins in or something... everyone's dying.
50 yrs old is young do die of cardiac arrest. He was seriously werid AND in bad health.

Allanna said...

It does seem very unreal -- his being gone. And Ed McMahon ... *sigh*

I really liked your post.
I enjoy when you write ... even if I sometimes feel really dumb for not knowing all the political stuff. ^_^