Thursday, June 18, 2009

New look and revamp

I really did not like the standard greenery offered, even though I started this blog nearly a year ago. I guess that just goes to show you how engaged I am in this whole blogging business. Not even that, I said I'd change the blog name altogether, and I've thought about it at length, and at best came up with "Socks and Birkenstocks" since that seems like a prevalent theme up here in the Northwest, however, it is anathema to my position (i.e., socks and sandals do not mix). Still, cute name, n'est pas?

Now I don't have an issue with green -- after all, who could argue with a color that has such a rich history in camouflage? Not I. But this cleaner look seems to suit me better. Plus, a little blue here and there is soothing, and the older look was an eye sore. I admit that.

Not to make this post only about revamping the blog, but I did want to add that I did have another one of those dreams the other day. Hard to imagine with my sleeping routine in shambles.

---

In this dream, I was sitting next to two children; an adolescent of maybe 13 years, African American, and a younger boy, Caucasian of maybe 7 or 8 years of age. I was trying to carry on a conversation with both of them, but every few seconds, a new evil spirit would jump into the body of one of these two kids, and disrupt the flow of things. It was really annoying, to put it mildly, but the worst part was that I was rather immune to the whole plight. Instead of rebuking the demons, I would just point and order the evil spirit to be gone. Surprisingly, it was sorta working. Sorta.

Ever read the Sons of Sceva in the New Testament? I love this story. You can read it in Acts 19:13-16. I'll cite it below from the King James version:

13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priest, which did so.
15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

This is pretty much what happened to me in the dream. These seven sons of Sceva saw Paul exorcise a demon in the name of Jesus Christ, and they thought that was pretty neat. So they found a possessed individual, and then had the audacity to say, "We adjure (command) you by Jesus as Paul did!" And that smart-aleck demon says, "Gee, I know Jesus, and I know Paul too. But who the hell are you?" And then he beat the crap out of them. Seven brothers versus one demon-stricken man, and they still lost. That gives you a sense of how much power the dark side has.

So here I am, lazily telling these demons to be gone by my own authority, and they playfully obey, but when I got upset that I couldn't carry a common conversation with these two youth, my supposed power back-fired, and just like in the scriptures, they leaped upon me, and as usual, went for my neck so I couldn't utter anything in my defense. These kids were strong, I couldn't make them move at all. Once again, I wake up gasping for air, wondering what the heck is going on around here. I immediately realized my folly -- arrogance and ego -- thinking I have control over something I clearly do not. And I find it odd because, usually, I know what to do. But this time, I felt somewhat entitled and I am not sure why.

At least I have an opportunity to reflect on the matter. And yes, when I'm lazy I do wear socks with sandals. Classy!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm impressed you can remember your dreams...I never really can.

And socks with sandals...seriously?

The Hero said...

I believe I have seen you in socks and sandals -- don't even pretend to be above Oregon rank-and-file.

As for dreams, I only post the scary ones here. I do have a journal specifically dedicated to dreams; it is one of 4 journals I maintain including this blog.

For example, this morning I "borrowed" a banana yellow convertible Jaguar, only to have it break down and start burning oil. Thankfully Evil Nordi was there to be a getaway car in a suped-up 390 horse power station wagon that supposedly was from Ferrari. I have my doubts... but it was fast!